MEXICAN SCRAMBLE

Friday 1 September 2017

I'm a big fan of quick and easy recipes and leftovers often make their way into an off-the-cuff version of eggs for breakfast. A few scraps that aren't much use for anything else suddenly become a whole meal when you look at them in a different light! These Mexican-ish eggs are actually a 'third generation' meal; Darren made spaghetti bolognese at the weekend, I took leftovers for lunch on Monday, on Tuesday we added spices, made a quick tomato salad, shredded lettuce and grated cheese for quick burrito bowls and voila, Thursday morning I made this out of what was left of the burrito bowl accompaniments. Hardly a recipe, but hope it inspires you to add a little something different to your usual breakfast.

Eggs for one
3 free-range eggs
A few slices of red or white onion
A small handful of cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
A few leaves of shredded lettuce (little gem/romaine works best)
Your favourite hot sauce
Grated cheese
Butter/coconut oil for frying

Heat the butter or coconut oil in a non-stick pan. Once just bubbling, add the onions, tomatoes and lettuce - lettuce might seem a bit of an odd choice, but I'm a huge fan! Fry for a minute or so on a medium to high heat, stirring to ensure the onions don't burn.

Meanwhile, crack the eggs into a bowl and whisk together with a fork. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour into the pan, tilting the pan so that the egg covers the whole surface. Unlike my usual, creamy, restaurant-style scrambled eggs, I like this version with a bit more of an omelette-like texture, so I let it cook on the bottom while I sprinkle the top with a little grated cheese and (lots! of) hot sauce. Once the bottom has started to set, use a flat spatula to gently break up and turn the eggs to ensure everything gets cooked through.

I had my eggs with blueberries...which seems odd what with the hot sauce and cheese. I can't blame this slightly odd combination on pregnancy, though, as I've always quite liked scrambled eggs/omelettes with blueberries on the side! Please try it and tell me if I'm being weird...

No comments:

Post a Comment