NEW YORK-STYLE VALENTINE'S COOKIES

Sunday 12 February 2017
I spent four years living in New York when I was very small and ever since, white chocolate chip cookies have remained one of my mum's favourite things. This recipe comes from Molly O'Neill's The New York Cookbook, a hefty tome that has recipes from all over the city which, of course, means there are dishes to cook from all over the world. My mum has annotated recipes with things like YES!! and DOUBLE IT! in the margins, which makes it even more fun to flip through.


A note before I share the recipe, these cookies are slim and crisp - they stay deliciously chewy in the centre but they're definitely not chunky, melty cookies; the book says "these are easy to make and absolutely delicious. They develop a butterscotch flavour as they bake and are extremely fragile." So there you go!



To make about 20 cookies
225g unsalted butter, softened
225g soft brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1 large egg
190g plain flour, sifted
220g dark chocolate chips*

**The Valentine's twist here is that I added pink and white mini marshmallows - not particularly radical, but delicious all the same. I also made half a batch with white chocolate chips for my mum.

Preheat the oven to 180C and line a baking tray with parchment paper.

Combine the butter, brown sugar, salt, vanilla and egg in a large bowl. Use an electric mixer or beat by hand to a smooth batter. Add the flour and chocolate chips/marshmallows and mix until no traces of flour remain.

Drop the batter by heaping tablespoonfuls on the baking sheet, spacing the cookies 2 inches apart. Bake until the edges of the cookies are barely brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove and let cool on a wire rack.

Adjustment: I found that the cookies turned out better when I spaced them further apart - you might only be able to bake 5 or 6 at a time - and didn't spread out as much in the oven when I refrigerated the batter in between batches. When they came out of the oven, I placed the tray by a window to let them cool slightly before manoeuvring them onto the wire rack - they were too soft to move without doing that.

No comments:

Post a Comment